Tuesday, February 16, 2010

River Runs Through JPL

Pasadena, CA -- Arroyo Seco translates to "dry creek" in Spanish. Locals calls it "The Arroyo." It begins in the foothills above Pasadena and winds its way through Pasadena and into the Los Angeles River; eventually to the Pacific Ocean.

Pasadena received over seven inches of rain in the last few weeks; flooding homes, burying cars and filling reservoirs. This photo was taken nearly a week after the last major rain. A Pasadena Public Works employee said that the water reached 2-feet from overflow on Devil's Gate Dam and completely filled the Hahamogna Watershed Park area pictured above. NASA's famed Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is the small city in the background.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, all this crazy weather is amazing. Interesting photo, too. I hope you guys are spared from more rain!

Luis Gomez said...

JT, that doesn't look good at all. Nice shot though. Are you ok?

Petrea Burchard said...

That employee might have been talking about spring 2005, but probably not this year. I frequent this place (Hahamongna Watershed Park) 2-3 times a week and it hasn't gotten quite that high this year--yet!

Unknown said...

Petrea, Very well could be what he meant. He did compare this years storm with 2005, but I am sure there was some confusion. That was the first time I walked that path. It was your suggestion on one of your posts that prompted me. Great find!

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm glad you checked it out! Isn't it a great place? I don't usually get as far afield as you do, but that place makes me feel like I get out of town.

Tash said...

Wow that's a terrific perspective!