Thursday, January 20, 2011

Growing Up Scouts

When I was eight years old, I had the attention span of squirrel. In fact, I was often called a squirrel, even through high school. Today "experts" call it Attention Deficit Disorder. Back in the 60s they called it being a boy. Most of my friends were the same way, especially in Scouts.

I too was a Cub Scout and remember nights at den meetings, Saturday outings with the dads, and the occasional awards ceremony where we were pinned with metals for boiling water, good manners, hiking, etc.

Today they have badges for Disability Awareness, Computers, and yes, Photography. I think I would excel at some of today's awards, despite the fact I am still an (old) squirrel.

2 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

Very nice post JT. I am still laughing understanding exactly what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Love it!