Sunday, July 26, 2009

Keep it Simple

Hollywood -- A while back I worked an evening at a Hollywood movie premier as a demonstration cook for Weber Grills. While I was walking around shooting photos, I had the opportunity to meet Henry Diltz. Diltz is known as a folk singer/songwriter, but perhaps best known as the official photographer for Woodstock and having his photos fill the covers of hundreds of rock albums like The Doors, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jimi Hendrix and scores of other legendary artists.

I asked Henry if he would, in a sentence, give me a tip on what makes a good photograph. He lifted his camera up and told me that he keeps it simple. He typically use one lens: a 50mm prime lens. Sure enough, I looked up his website and marveled at it's simple yet memorible shots of my rock heros.

One tip I've heard over and over again is: "The best camera to have is the camera you have with you."

1 comment:

Victor said...

That is sage advice. Many of the greats of the 20th century used only one lens (Henri Cartier-Bresson, Elliott Erwitt, Robert Frank, Diane Arbus) and of course you can't get the picture if you don't have your camera. I love the Ringo Starr quote on his website. Cheers!