Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mako Sharks of West Covina

West Covina, CA -- Until today, I didn't realize we had Mako sharks roaming the hills of LA.

While on a trail in Galster Wilderness Park, I ran into an amateur paleontologist. Wearing a loupe around his neck and a rock pick in his hand, Keith pulled out a handful of sharks teeth and set them on white paper. He said the teeth (pictured) are millions of years old and are abundant in the hills of the Park. He also showed me a fossil of a prehistoric fish, closely related to a sardine. He said the teeth were found on the trail within the last hour!

Fascinating and quite serendipitous.

1 comment:

Petrea Burchard said...

Wow. And I've never heard of Galster Wilderness Park, so thank you very much for the tip.

I like the colors of this photo.