Sunday, December 7, 2008

Shortest Railway in the World

There's been talk about LA's only funicular reopening, but there seems to be more important projects to spend money on. I've never been on Angels Flight but it seems to serve a purpose as a piece of history.

The "B.P.O.E." written on the arch stands for the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
It was to commemorate the Elks' national convention held in Los Angeles in 1909. Wouldn't you had loved to be a fly on the wall at that convention?

5 comments:

Hilda said...

Whether they open it again or not, I hope they keep the rail and the arches forever. Looks cool!

Hope said...

How very interesting! That archway is beautiful! I can imagine riding this in 1909 with my family...it's fun to go back in time if only in your thoughts!

By the way....nice avatar! It's my favorite so far!

Unknown said...

We have very old railways/funiculars in Lisbon, but not as short as that one! Very cool indeed! :-)
I think it's the 1st time I visit your blog and I really enjoyed what I saw, you have some fantastic pics here.

Fashion Schlub said...

what fun! i have never seen that. i hope it re-opens

San Diego Farmgirl said...

What a strange little piece of history among those modern buildings and parking garages! I've never seen it before, thanks!