Sunday, January 31, 2010

Grave Diggers

Sierra Madre, CA -- Old cemeteries have a certain draw to them. Sometimes it's fun to explore the 100+-year-old stones for familiar names. I also find it interesting to read what loved ones write for the epitaph.

Today, we wondered on a couple of grave diggers. I introduced myself first and asked them questions about their work. No modern equipment allowed here; the grounds are too old and fragile. They made it clear that seven feet is the standard, not six feet. I asked if I could get a few shots, which they agreed. I shot this photo right after I told them that I may title this photo, "Modern Grave Robbers." They got a kick out of it.

7 comments:

Luis Gomez said...

Fun shot JT!

Dina said...

Lucky you to find human grave diggers in action.

I too like to explore old cemeteries. (Well, here that means thousands of years old.)

Amy said...

I really enjoy exploring cemeteries - would you mind sharing where in Sierra Madre this one is?

Petrea Burchard said...

I'll bet these guys have a lot of jokes on the job. You've gotta have a sense of humor.

gogouci said...

I hope they are hourly.

Tash said...

What a nice couple of guys. I hadn't thought about grave diggers...I only see grounds keepers these days.

Anonymous said...

That's gotta be some hard work. Cool capture.